"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." Lao Tzu

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hawaii/New Zealand...About time!

"I'm heading to Hawaii and New Zealand come the end of the year. Do you think you can come and be the geology expert?" These were a few of the words I heard from my precious ex-professor, ex-adviser, ex-landlord, friend one day back in September 2006. Doc, a local professor at a private college here in New England, has been taking kids to exotic places forever. During my undergraduate career, I was able to head with him on several trips: (1) US Virgin Islands aboard the Spirit of Massachusetts 1994 and (2) Belize 1995. My senior year of college he ran a trip to Hawaii and New Zealand during J-term. I wasn't able to go financially and was a little jealous of those who went and their experiences when they came back. So when these words were uttered in a friendly conversation, my heart sped up and my brain yelled "YES!!!"

Of course being a teacher this reality might not be possible. The time for the trip was Dec. 29, 2006 to Jan. 24, 2007. Yeah, we're talking about me missing half a term from school. I told Doc I probably wasn't going to be able to go but I would ask. See my mom instilled in her kids that it doesn't hurt to ask. This philosophy I use frequently. What's the worst that can happen? Someone says no. So I gathered all the information I could from Doc, talked to the substitute who covered for me the year before, and headed to my superintendent's office for a chat. See the year before, my superintendent approved my request to be gone 2 weeks during January to Belize/Guatemala. This was another reason why I wasn't too confident that I would get the ok to head to Hawaii/New Zealand. Sitting in the superintendent's office I must admit I was a little nervous. So after taking a deep breath, I launched into my persuasive speech. I laid out the pros and cons of having me go, what I was responsible for while on the trip, how I had already spoke with the substitute to see if she was willing and available for that amount of time, and stressed that this wasn't a vacation during the school year; I would be teaching and dealing students basically 24/7. To my utter surprise, he said "Yes".

I walked out of his office in a daze. Did what I just hear happen? Was it real or was he joking? Am I really going to two places I've always wanted to visit but haven't had the chance or opportunity to so far? By the time I reached my classroom, I was eager to call my husband to relay the good news then contact Doc to say, "I'm in!" Of course this meant a lot of preliminary work on my part but oh, I was so not worrying about that.

Prior to heading out on 12/29, Doc had some night classes. These classes are required for those taking this travel course for credit. I decided to attend the classes because I love listening to Doc and wanted to get a look at those going on the trip. I know they say that first impressions aren't always accurate and that 'you can't judge a book by its cover' so when I noticed a few of the students appearing to be high maintenance or a few students who appeared to be going on the trip just to get a suntan, I dismissed these thoughts right away. Spending a month in close proximity with individuals, you'll get to know them pretty well. This is always a fun yet scary thing.

I'm going to be come a shellback (term used for sailors who crossed the equator); I'm going to jump forward in time and then jump back in time (crossing the International Date Line); I'm going to Hawaii and New Zealand with Doc. Let another adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment